In this post, I will show you “How to Permanently Disable Cortana in Windows 10”. Cortana can be annoying for windows users because of having a lot of notifications. And, it is running even when your desktop is turned off. This can happen because of the windows updates, uninstalling applications, and creating changes to the OS. However, Microsoft does not want to disable Cortana. You used to turn off Cortana in Windows 10 but you no longer have the way of toggling off. But, you still can disable Cortana inside your windows. When you disable the windows, Cortana changes into the windows search tool for file searches and local applications.
Moreover, the operating system Cortana restricted since the release of Windows 10 and it updated to ignore your default web browser. Now you will have Cortana with edge browser and have Bing while you use. And, here is how you permanently disable Cortana in Windows 10.
Disable Cortana via the registry
At first, there are two methods that you disable Cortana in Windows. The first method you will do is with Regedit and it this for windows 10 home. And, the steps are windows 10 because we have Windows more than any other operating system users.
you need to edit the Windows registry to have the changes in case if you have a windows 10 home. You can do this in another way too, where you have to have Windows 10 professional or enterprise. But, make great for working in the registry as opposed to group policy. In case of having pro or enterprise and I prefer you to use the simple way of Group Policy Editor.
It as well depends on which version are you using. And, if you want to find which version of Windows are you using, for that click the start button and then Settings. In settings Windows select system and then go about. And, here you can see the version that you are using.
And, these methods are based on the version that you are using. In the first method, you will go with Windows Home Edition.
Step1: Windows 10 Home Edition.
- Click on Start and type Regedit and click on the option that appears above which is Registry Editor.
- In the register and click on HKEY LOCAL MACHINE.
- And, expand the software.
- Now find out Policies, click and expand it and click on Microsoft and click on Windows.
- Right-click on it and create New > Key. And, I will label this as “Windows Search”.
- On the right side of the Window, right-click, and make a new >Dword (32-Bit) Value entry.
- We will name it “Allow Cortina“.
- Click on it and Modify and set the data value as 0.
And, after all these steps, you have to close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.
Step2. Windows 10 Professional & Windows 10 Enterprise
In this method, you will disable Cortana Windows 10.
- Click on the start button and type “Group Policy Editor“.
- You will have a list of options, under Local Computer Policy for Computer Configuration and then right-click on Administration Templates.
After clicking on Administrative Templates you will have Windows Components.
- Scroll down and you will have search, click on it.
- In search options, you will have “Allow Cortina”.
- Now double click on it to open and select to disable, Click Apply and Ok.
- Now, look for “Allow Cortina above lock screen”.
- Click to open it then select disable, click Apply, and Ok.
After all the steps you have to close the Registry Editor and restart your computer. And when your desktop gets start then your device will be rebooted and the changes will take place.
In this post, we talked about “How to Permanently Disable Cortana in Windows 10”. And, we covered the title through:
Windows 10 Home Edition.
Windows 10 Professional & Windows 10 Enterprise.
Regarding our posts, if you find any kind of issue or wanted to give your feedback then you can have us in the comment section below.